Saturday, November 26, 2011

An Introduction... Of sorts...


Somewhere between MySpace, Facebook, and Twitter, I seemed to have lost my ability to blog.

I was an active blogger in college and in graduate school. I've been privileged to guest blog on some academic and political sites since I have graduated... But it seems that somewhere down the line, my (personal) blogging was replaced with status updates, comment threads, and microblogs...

In effort to untangle this web of social media chaos I have created over the years-- the one that connects my Facebook with my Twitter, my GoodReads to my Facebook, and my LinkedIn to God knows what else-- I have decided to return to where I started... The land of blogging.

So--

Hello! Hola! Guten Tag! Bonjour! And welcome!

Please allow me to introduce myself.

Professionally

I am an academic professional currently living and working in Cincinnati, OH. I have worked as an academic librarian and library director for the last several years in southwest Ohio and in Northern Kentucky. I became a librarian because I believe that the only way we can change the world, is through education. I believe that everyone has the right to a good education and in turn, I believe that we all have the obligation to educate ourselves accordingly...

As the years pass by, I have found myself growing more and more dissatisfied with our education system on all levels. Recently, I decided to make a change. Soon I will be leaving the library in order to a focus on a career in accrediting, compliance, and instutional effectiveness in high education. I was born to be a librarian. It is everything that I am, so I don't expect my career as a librarian to be detoured for too long--but I do expect to learn a lot during my hiatus that will help me to become a more effective leader when I return to librarianland in the future.

Personally

I am passionate about books, libraries, politics, grassroots activism, conscious living, yoga and education. I am curious about choices... The ones that we make as individuals and as communities. Most importantly, I am interested in how our life experiences and education help us to make those choices that change the paths of our lives.

In saying all of that--this blog is a little bit about all of this, all of that that, and a little bit of everything that comes in between.

It's certainly not for everybody. I'm betting it will offend you at times--more frequently than some people had probably bargained for, in fact...

But as long as it makes the wheels inside your head turn occasionally, I don't really care if you agree or disagree with me. As long as we are thinking, learning, and sharing our knowledge--I'll consider my mission here accomplished.














No comments:

Post a Comment